Eversfield Organic, one of Devon’s most progressive food producers, has opened its first farm shop and deli in Tavistock.
The Eversfield business – motto ‘Enjoy Food – Enjoy Life’ – has enjoyed huge success in recent years providing organic food boxes, which are delivered all over the UK.
The Bury family farm, just a few miles from the Devon market town, provides organic meat, raised on grass to the highest welfare standards.
Eversfield Organic is based on the philosophy that food starts with the natural environment, and that animal welfare comes first.
Mark Bury and his family believe that organic food offers a better deal of all, including those who simply choose to eat it.
He says: “Absent of harmful chemicals and packed with higher levels of important nutrients, we think enjoying organic food is a no-brainer.”
Mark, who grew up in Yelverton, left the city life in 2002 to pursue his dream of farming in Devon, adds: ‘The shop is a natural development of the Eversfield Organic vision.
“When we arrived at Ellacott [the family farm in Bratton Clovelly] we spent two back-breaking years bringing the land – which had been intensively farmed – back to fertility.
“For me and my family, organic means the best for our own health, the animals we keep and the health of our soil and wildlife.”
The new outlet includes:
- A butchery counter, showcasing Eversfield’s multi-award-winning range of organic fresh and cured meats. Every cut has 100% traceability.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables sourced locally wherever possible, and all organic.
- Baker Tom’s breads, including sourdough and spelt loaves.
- Coffee bar, serving Owens organic coffee, roasted in Ivybridge.
- Organic cheeses, both regional and international, plus olives and charcuterie to fill your sharing platters.
- A wine cave – one of the few places in the West Country offering 100% organic wines.
- Wild game in season – wild rather than organic, to ensure the animal has lived as freely and naturally as possible.
- Fresh fish – again, wild rather than organic, sourced from a family run sustainable fishing business in St Ives, Cornwall.
Mark added: ‘Our arrival in Tavistock is a natural development for Eversfield, but it doesn’t stop there.
“We see the shop as a springboard for our business, and the Eversfield team has all sorts of ideas in development, including one-off events and a series of pop-up dinners.”